Dr. Chinyere Anyaogu
Dr. Chinyere Anyaogu has worked for more than 20 years in Maternal, Child and Women’s Health. She has interest in Maternal mortality and morbidity and is a member of the New York City (NYC) maternal mortality review committee from 2016-date as well as the Maternal mortality subcommittee for mental health 2018- date which is drafting system changes in NYC to address the disparities in maternal mortality and morbidity for the city.
In the realm of teen pregnancy she founded the WHS- Paeds adolescent clinic in her system that has WHS providers provide contraceptive care and counseling within the Paeds adolescent clinic to increase access to contraception and received a service grant within the system to create a more patient centered space.
She has led several initiatives to increase the quality of care and patient experience for women at NCB and was recognized for her efforts with several awards for the hospital including
- New York State’s 2015 Improvement Award for its program to prevent hypertensive disorders in pregnant women and new mothers.
- International recognition of the hospital as a “Baby-Friendly” birth facility by the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF for encouraging and facilitating breastfeeding by new mothers.
She is the Principal Investigator of a $2.4million grant for Teen options for pregnancy prevention from the Arnold Foundation for her system.
She was the past President of the University of Nigeria College of Medicine’s Alumni group (UNCOMMA).
- Chairperson of the ANPA National Membership Committee since 2014 and exponentially grew membership and digitally connected members via WhatsApp during this time. In the last 6 years she has supported opening of several new chapters and provides ongoing support and mentorship
- Actively assisted 4 Presidents in a row creating and expanding new programs – DNPT transitioning to ANPA
- Cofounder and Cochair of ANPA Ladies Hat and Tea since 2009, raising an average of $12,000/year most recently for ANPAs programs.
- Initiated ANPA Carolina & ANPA NY health fair and youth programs
- Mission trip to Enugu Ukwu Nigeria with middle school and high school teens for 2018 Anambra Nigerian Medical/ Surgical/Dental Mission-excellent exposure of the youth to volunteer and health care activities internationally. March 20-31, 2018
- Annual Mentoring in Medicine Community event for school age youths since September 2017 currently in its 3rd year (ANPA in Collaboration with Health and Human Cooperation North Central Bronx Hospital
- Mentorship and Sponsorship of pre- residency applicants
- Revolutionary transformation of the Maternal and Child Health ANPA committee resulting in the Internationally recognized training program of Helping Babies Breath/Survive offered at ANPA week.
- Organizer of ANPA/ NYCares coat drives bringing ANPA to the communities where we live and work.
- OBGYN lead in the ANPA week mission activity, actively recruited and provided the first Ophthalmologist for surgical mission in the organization
- ANPA member for over 15years. \
Her awards include:
- The 2019 Award for Outstanding Contribution and Dedication to ANPA.
- Commitment to Service Award, University of Nigeria College of Medicine Alumni Association
- Community Leadership and Mentorship Award, ANPA NY 2019
- Harlem Fine Arts Show African Americans in Medicine Award for dedicated service and commitment to excellence 2017
- 2013 Best Physician Award Presbyterian Hospital Huntersville
- Appreciation of service award ANPA carolina 2009.
Dr. Stanley Okoro
Hello, my name is Stanley Okoro. I was born and raised in Orlu, Imo State Nigeria to Lady Agnes Okoro, a teacher, and Chief Reuben Okoro, a businessman, lawyer and philanthropist. After completing high school, my parents brought me to the United States to fulfill my dreams of becoming a surgeon.
On arrival to New York, we decided to move to Washington, DC, where I graduated from the University of the District of Columbia with high honors. I attended medical school at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee, where I also graduated with honors and completed a general surgery residency at Emory University in Atlanta. Following General Surgery residency, I joined the United States Navy. I was posted at the Naval Hospital Great Lakes, Illinois, where I served with distinction as chief of general surgery for four years.
My life was not complete as a general surgeon, so I pursued additional three-year training in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio Texas. Returning back to the United States Navy, I achieved the rank of Commander (0-5), serving as Chief of Plastic Surgery at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. During my time in the Navy, I incorporated Imo Medical mission and served as the Executive Director. While serving, I became board certified by both the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and the American Board of Surgery. I served a total of 12 years in the Navy. As a leader both in civilian life & military service, I learned discipline, honesty, transparency, the value of networking, partnership, collaboration, and servant leadership. These are all important skills for a physician and community service as a leader.
After completing my Navy career, I founded Georgia Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia. This year marks the 10th anniversary of Georgia Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. We have been voted the 2015, 2017, 2018, & 2019 Best Plastic Surgeon in Atlanta. I also serve as the Medical Director of Amachi MedSpa and Asuch Surgery Center. Our foundation, the Georgia Plastic Foundation, a nonprofit, charitable organization sponsors and organizes medical missions.
In 2012, we launched Abuja Plastic Surgery, the first full-service plastic surgery service in Nigeria, to not only give back to the community, but to reduce medical tourism to India. Our bold endeavor has encouraged many others to establish plastic surgery services in Nigeria, essentially reversing plastic surgery tourism to India and Dubai. Today, my practice in Nigeria helps to fund the humanitarian missions in Nigeria, and I do them twice a year. It is absolutely the most rewarding work that I do.
As member of many prestigious & exclusive organizations in Plastic Surgery, I have received multiple awards, authored many topics in plastic surgery journals, and presented at several national & international conferences. I have been featured in many national and international media outlets such as CBS, NBC, BBC & CNN.
My 10 plus years in the Association of Nigerian Physicians in the Americas (ANPA) started in Washington DC, when I attended the ANPA DC/MD/VA chapter meetings. My attendance to the ANPA 2009 Abuja convention sealed the deal. When I moved to Atlanta, I also joined the Georgia Chapter. After a few years, I was elected the chair of ANPA Georgia. During my leadership, ANPA Georgia became a very vibrant chapter, increasing its membership, member participation and programs. Specifically, I established the chapter’s website, social media platform, email server, doctor’s directory, scholarship, feed the hungry participation with Hosea Feed the hungry Foundation. Additionally, I upgraded the existing programs such as ANPA GA 5K walk/run, family picnic, and volunteered my private office space & hosted all chapter meeting for the last 5 years. In 2017, we hosted one of the best and most profitable ANPA National Conventions in ANPA history. At the 2018 ANPA Dallas convention, I was elected the ANPA National Treasurer.
As ANPA National Treasurer, I introduced & implemented income producing investments for ANPA, growing ANPA’s Net Worth by over 10 percent both in the United states and Nigeria. Additionally, I have upgraded, digitized, harmonized ANPA’s financial transactions, introducing Zelle transactions, improved online transactions, and negotiated lower fees for ANPA accounts. My time as your Treasurer has brought ANPA accounting transparency and innovative activities to increase membership in the organization. Finally, I have flawlessly managed the finances of our most ambitious medical mission ever. Today, the financial state of ANPA is solid.
Dr. Segun Dawodu
YEARS AND EXPERIENCE IN COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Early member of the Committee of Defense of Human Rights in Nigeria,
- Secretary of Association of Resident Doctors in UBTH, De factor President of Ibadan Medical Students Association,
- National leader of the Nigerian Medical Students’ Association and representing Nigeria at the International of Federation of Medical Students’ Associations,
- Vice-President of the African-Trinidadian Friendship Organization protecting the Rights of Nigerian physicians in Trinidad & Tobago,
- First President of Benin Foundation established to promote growth and development in Edo state,
- Philanthropic activities including sponsorship and scholarship for young girls for their university education through Association Against Women Export.
- Created the first website on Nigeria’s history, socio-economic and political issues Dawodu.com in 1998 (was a blog for 2 years prior),
- President of Ibadan College of Medicine Alumni Association-North America during which several aids were given to the college including ACLS training while also improving alumni attendance at events and contributing an average of 30% attendance at ANPA Annual meetings, etc.
- Previously Assistant Professor of PMR, Mount Sinai Hospital Medical School, New York, NY
- Previously Associate Professor of PMR, Albany Medical School/Medical Center, Albany, NY
YEARS OF SERVICE IN ANPA AND OTHER NATIONAL COMMITTEES
- Chair of the Constitution/Bylaws committee and provided legal oversight for ANPA, made amendments and updates and also help to provide interventions for Nigerian physicians in distress who called on ANPA for help,
- Early member of the Emergency Medicine committee, etc.
- Member ANPA Board of Directors
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Re-Certification Examination item writer
- American Board of Preventive Medicine, Re-Certification Examination item writer in Clinical Informatics
- Past Editor, PMR Knowledge NOW
- Past Module Tutor, Medical Informatics Diploma/Msc, Faculty of Medical Informatics, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Past Member, Training program Committee, American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Past Member, Planning Program Committee, American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Past Member, Finance Committee, American Medical Informatics Association
- Past Member, Ethics Committee, American Medical Informatics Association
- Past Examiner, American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Past Member, Pain Medicine Curriculum Committee, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Past Member, Pain Council Outline Development Group, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Past Member, Legal and Advocacy Committee, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- MD (MB; BS) – University of Ibadan
- JD (LL. B) – University of London,
- MBA – Johns Hopkins University, Carey Business School
- MS in Medical Informatics – Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- LL.M in Medical Law/Ethics & Intellectual Property – University of London,
- LL.M in International Corporate and Commercial Law – King’s College London, The Dickson Poon School of Law
BOARD. CERTIFICATIONS, etc
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Pain Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Clinical Informatics
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine
- Fellow, Royal Society of Public Health
- Fellow, American Academy of PMR
- Fellow, American Academy of Electrodiagnostic and Neuromuscular Medicine.
- Fellow, Faculty of Clinical Informatics, UK.
Dr. Cliff Eke
In 1997 after completion of General Surgery Residency, I joined ANPA and became an active member of the Southern California local Chapter.
I also pursued my passion outside work, giving back to Nigeria underprivileged via free medical and surgical missions to Imo State. This was done through two nonprofit organizations, Chima Medical Missions Int’l (which I founded) and Imo Medical Mission Inc., with volunteers from top American Hospitals, making it very successful.
In 2015 I became Chair of ANPA Medical Mission Committe and active member of the Board of Directors.
A summary of some of my accomplishments serving in these and other capacities to help ANPA achieve its goal of “a healthier Nigeria in a healthier world,” follows:
- First ANPA week (Advocacy, CPD, Medical Mission) organizer and participant, and the only member to have participated in all ANPA week thus far (worked with three Presidents)!
- Transformed the Medical Mission Committee and organized the Largest known Medical/Surgical/Dental/Ophthalmic Mission to Nigeria ever with 100 volunteers in 2019!
- First ANPA Malaria Walk organizing team and speaker in Southern California (SoCal) chapter
- Host of many ANPA SoCal Galas
- Multiple Educational presentations at ANPA conventions and Board meetings
- Discussed ANPA Field activities on Channels TV
- Advocacy team and NPAG founding member
- Prior ANPA Nominating Committe member
- Mentoring many younger ANPA members, some of whom are now leaders, and DNPT
- Donations to support ANPA activities- Dues, COVID-19 & Ebola PPEs, Cardiac surgery fund, medical supplies, help members, etc.
- Founder/CEO Chima Medical Missions Int’l
- Past Executive Director Imo Medical Mission, Inc.
For the above contributions and other attributes, I was given the Exceptional Contribution Award by ANPA in 2019 at Washington DC.
I have also received many prestigious awards in the USA for my Philanthropy, and three unsolicited Chieftaincy titles from different rulers in Nigeria for the same reason.
I plan to use my experiences as described above, my experiences and network as the Past President of the American Cancer Society, California Division, and as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, to move our organization closer to the realization of our mission, and to make ANPA more relevant here and in Nigeria.
I strive for excellence, easily get along with people and work well with others towards successful completion of team efforts, as anyone of you who has worked with me can attest.
I humbly ask for your support as ANPA Treasurer.
Cliff Eke, MD, FACS, FICS